Saturday, January 24, 2009

Long Week

We started a new semester this week and for some reason that made it seem extremely long. Getting new students is an interesting challenge. Teenagers always seem to have their guard up like they don't want you to know who they are or anything about them. They also want to see what you'll put up with and what they can get away with. For the most part they're pretty good kids. I'm teaching 2nd semester Algebra now so I still have some of the same kids. That has made this week a little easier. They're fun becuase they know me and my expectations. They also seem to act like they've got an "in" with the teacher. I have one kid who's a wrestler. I know very little about wrestling, mostly because those outfits--wow--not going there! Anyway, this week I learned all about the scoring in wrestling and how this kid (freshman) lost only by "points" to a senior. He was pretty excited and it was fun to listen to his story.

This semester I guess rumore has it that I'm the mean teacher!!! I put exclamation marks because often in the teaching world the "mean" teachers are doing their job and keeping kids from doing whatever I want. This same kid who told me everything there is to know about wrestiling explained that some kids think I'm mean because I give homework every night, don't let them listen to i-pods in class, or let them goof around. He then preceded to tell me that's why his mom signed him up for my class!! Isn't that just classic!! I think it's great. When I told me fellow math teachers I was the mean teacher they just laughed and gave me the thumbs up and a "good for you!" Well that's been my week in a nutshell. Somedays Teahing school terrifies me. Other days I look at how hard I worked to get what I have -- my own classroom -- my own students -- a real job as a math teacher. Wow!! I love it. And as my dad says, "they wouldn't pay you if they thought it was supposed to be easy." Thanks Dad!

Until next time, Happy January!! My birthday is only one week away!!!
Smiles KJ

3 comments:

Kyle and Alyssa said...

Hey Kara!!!

That's way awesome you are the mean teacher and that that kid told you about why he's in your class, what a classic. I totally admire you for teaching teenagers, to me every day would be horrifying!(sp) How's the snow? Do you guys have snowmobiles yet? You are welcome to come visit anytime

Amberlee said...

Congrats on being the "mean" teacher. That is very good news. Sometimes I wish I had my own classroom. It's hard to move each class. Someday :)

Dallin said...

Funny thing is that you tend to remember the "mean" teachers, maybe that's because you actually learn something in their classes. Way to go Kara!