Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ode to Taxes

Tyler and I sat down together and did our taxes last night. He has done them the past two years of our married life and has hated every moment. That most likely was caused by the odd number of jobs we both performed (do to college schedules). This year he wanted to go to H and R Block, but I told him we should save the money and just do them ourselves. "We?" He asked. So I told him I would do them. In the end we both sat down, found the online forms (Thank heavens for the internet) and did our taxes. The Feds were short. "How much did you make?" "Find that number in the tax table." Pay your write arm, left leg, and first born child." Please sign here." Okay, we actually ended up with a small return, but still, it feels like we're pumping our life's work into the government.

Then came the Idaho state tax. -- Just one more perk to living in Wyoming --- No state income tax! And even better, no lame tax report to fill out.

"If you are blind or have become blind in the last year do not check the box and move on to line 48."

How could a blind person even read the silly form? Hello!!? Here's an actual word for word line. I wrote it down because I thought it was so ridiculous.

" If you have an NOL and are electing to forgo the carry back period, check here."

What in the world is an NOL? If I don't know should I check the box anyway, or would that just be a really bad idea?? I also had to laugh because the form simply, wait -- did I just type "simply?" -- oops my bad. Anyway, every line of the form tells you instructions like "subtract line 45 from line 47 and then divide line 38 of column B with column A of line 56. WHAT??? okay, so we made it through all the instructions and found that we had to pay the state of Idaho 94 dollars for the measly 14,000 we'd made in their state. Even after taxes had already been pulled out of those checks. Then, Tyler double checked line 23 or something like that and realized we had made a miss calculation. In the end we came out with a $26.00 refund. We liked that much better so we printed it out and mailed it off!!!

So if you're blind and cannot read this, please check the box. But if someone else can not claim you as a dependent please ask your brother's uncle to check the box for you. Other wise leave it blank.

May be NOL stand for Nearly Odd Layover. or No Oranges Lately. Then again, knowing the government it's probably a backwards, secret code, "we don't want you to really know anything about," but if you check the box we'll get some extra money out of you, and stands for Laugh Out (LOUD) NOW!

That's what we had to do to keep from yelling!!!

Have fun with your taxes. Only 46 days left until April 15th!!!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Did you know that H&R block will file your federal income tax for free online? That's the way we've always done it and did it this year. No state income tax is WAY awesome! Texas doesn't have any either and it was much easier that way. But we sure feel it in our property tax and sales tax.

Daniel & Rachel Dimond said...

Hey Kara! I never realized too many people looked at my blog so I was excited when I saw you had been on there! I hope everything is going great for you, it sure looks like it!

Daniel & Rachel Dimond said...

Hey sorry, just me again, but I noticed you put DIMOND on your list of friends. NOw I am going out on a limb here and saying you added this one thinking it was mine! =) And if that is the case and if you don't know these people, my address is wwwdimondfamily.blogspot.com, there is no dot between www and dimond. There are alot of people who get this wrong. I don't know how to change it either! Sorry!