Saturday, August 15, 2009

Ice Cream!!

Friday night was blustery and cold (which is especially anoying when it's August and you want to be outside) We were getting a bit of "cabin fever" and needed something fun to do. I told Tyler I had an idea and all he needed to do was put on his shoes. We got in the car and drove to the grocery store. He was totally confused. Our first stop, the duct tape isle, then some whipping cream, and ice. Tyler figured it out when I took him to get some rock salt, but I had him going for a good ten minutes! We got home and made some delicous chocolate ice cream in a can!!
If you're in need of a fun date, here's what you'll need:
  • A gallon size can (I used one of my empty food storage cans)
  • a container that will close tightly, fit nicely inside the can, and can hold more than a pint of liquid)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1cup whipping cream (1/2 pint)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • flavoring to taste -- you can just use vanilla extract. We did chocolate syrup, but you can also add crushed up fruit, or try other types of extracts such as mint and add chocolate shavings. Be creative!
  • Ice
  • Rock Salt
  • Duct Tape

Mix up the milk, cream, sugar, and flavoring and pour into your small container. Make sure to leave enough room for expansion (about a 1/2 inch to an inch depending on the shape of your container). Make sure the lid is on tight and duct tape to ensure it stays shut. Place the container inside the tin can and layer rock salt and ice around it. Then duct tape the lid shut.

Now you have to shake! We sat and watched a movie and rolled the can back and forth across the floor. After about 1/2 hour open the tin can and relayer ice and salt. Re-duct tape the lid shut and shake for about another 1/2 hour. Remove tape and pull the ice cream out of the can. Rinse off the container before removing the duct tape or lid so that you ice cream doesn't taste like salt. Ours turned out to be pretty solid. Usually it's more like a milk shake.

This recipe only makes about enough ice cream for two people to have a taste. In the past my mom has done this with young women or 4-H kids using multiple cans or flavors. It's fun!! You can also use gallon and quart size bags instead of cans.

Mmmmm....Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jeff and Lori said...

Hey Kara! Sounds like a fun date idea, might have to try it. I like your fresh new look to your blog. How do you do that? Is there a website? I'm jealous you all got to get together. Did you take any pictures? Hope your new school year is amazing!

Dallin said...

We love homemade ice cream. I'm actually jealous about the cooler weather too!